Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Solo Trip to New York City

I spent all of last week traveling and interviewing for the grad programs I would like to attend. Sara and I figured since I was going to be all the way across the country anyway I might as well spend a few days in New York City.

I got to the city late Friday morning and after dropping off my bag went straight to Jane and got some amazing vanilla bean French Toast.

Crunchy on the outside and chewy in the middle.
Just FYI, this entire trip in the city was based on where I should go and eat

While walking around downtown Manhattan I happened upon this rather tall building, also known as 1 WTC.


That evening I ate at Grimaldis under the Brooklyn Bridge. Thank you Blake for informing me about this fantastic place to eat pizza. There's just something about the crust of a coal brick-oven pizza that can't be beat.

I made it back to Times Square just before my first of two shows for the weekend started. Spider-man: Turn Off the Dark was the first. What can I say, the music was... Okay. The set was pretty neat but of course the best part was watching Spider-Man and the Green Goblin fight as the flew over the audience (for more on that check out the photo on my Facebook page here).

I'm still not sure about the title.
The next morning, based on the recommendation of some friends from our ward at Wymount, I found myself at Max Brenner and I had to choose from this for breakfast.

Granted this was only a small portion of their brunch offerings.
After more wandering of the city I made it to Dinosaur BBQ for a late lunch and filled myself to the point where I couldn't even think about food. I walked from 125th down to Central Park and  then spent nearly 2 hours walking through it.

This was at the beginning of my walk.
Even after walking in the park I wasn't ready to eat again so I took a journey down 5th Ave and thought of Blake and Stefi. I did however pick something up for Sara from Macaron Cafe and they happen to freeze well.

I finished my night by seeing Newsies. It was a blast! The lyrics to each song were a little bit different but that was nice because it kept the lady in her early thirties from trying to sing the whole show. I really enjoyed the dancing, when I grow up I want to be a newsie on the streets of 1899 New York.


Even with my alarm failing to go off the next morning I made it to the airport in time to catch my flight back to Seattle. It was a fun trip but I am looking forward to seeing Sara again this weekend during General Conference.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up, I would have totally been that lady in her thirties trying to sing along. But now I know better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm! This post is delicious! I'm so glad you had a fun trip in NYC. Hope the grad apps go well!

    ReplyDelete