Saturday, June 26, 2010

1st stage of PA school applications

My central application for PA school is finally in!! WOOT! This is definitely something to be excited about. I'm now working on secondary apps for a number of schools and then the waiting game begins for Will and me. I thought I'd share the essay I wrote for the central application. It should be error free, but if you find something just don't tell me - it's already submitted. Quick thanks to Mom and Dad who helped edit everything! :)

“¡Mi niño no puede respirar! Porfavor, Senora, neccesitamos ver el doctor!” Maria urgently implored as she burst into Dr. Aizad’s office, cradling her two-month-old son in her arms. I sought to calm the terribly distraught Maria as I quickly took her and her son to an exam room. Just a week ago Carlos was in the office with a slight cough and runny nose, but now his tiny chest heaved as he fought to get oxygen into his lungs. I remembered that Maria has trouble understanding English, so I reassured her that I would stay and translate during the exam. Dr. Aizad determined that Carlos was positive for RSV and asked me to help Maria understand that her son needed deep suction therapy at the hospital. As she hurried to leave, I gave her a copy of the order we had faxed to the hospital and made sure she knew the route. During these twenty minutes, I encountered three of the key factors that fuel my passion to become a physician’s assistant – forming relationships with people, working as part of a dedicated service team and meeting the intellectual challenge of new experiences. As I reflect on these key factors, specific experiences come to mind. A gathering with friends shows my passion for forming relationships, a Sunday morning with the children of our congregation displays my ability to work within a team, and anatomy class illustrates my love for learning.

The enticing smell of cinnamon drifts through our small apartment. The kitchen table is covered with pies—chocolate pecan, peanut butter, tollhouse, apple, and berry, all ready to be eaten. “Knock, knock,” announce Carson and Jordan, carrying in yet another dessert. It’s Pi Day (3.14 or March 14) and we are celebrating. Our apartment quickly fills with friends, neighbors, and family. The pies may be the cause for my husband’s excitement, but for me, it’s all about the people. I treasure the chance to gather with those we love and catch up on each other’s lives. Our new neighbors stop by, Sarah and Nate bring their newborn, and by the end of the night we’ve stuffed ourselves with tasty pie and savored friendly conversation. The pleasure of this evening is not in the variety of pies, but in our human interactions, the chance to connect and listen to one another and to share a little laughter. The opportunity to build relationships with patients and co-workers as a PA is extremely appealing to me.
It's another Sunday morning and I'm teaching, singing to and playing with the children of our congregation. I’m part of a team of four women who plan the Sunday School program for children ages 18 months up to 12 years. It would be impossible for any of us to handle the children alone, but as a team we are able to instruct, entertain, monitor, and interact with each child. I thrive in teamwork situations where I can assist others and also rely on my colleagues to improve my performance.

The excitement in the room is palpable. We crowd together, craning our necks to get a good view, while the TA identifies the muscles of the forearm on one of the cadavers in the lab. “Here we have the extensor carpi ulnaris,” she says, pointing to a long muscle stretching the length of the forearm. I am fascinated and can hardly wait until her lecture is over so our class can divide into groups around the four cadavers to review and teach each other. This class ignited my desire to learn about the human body and sparked my interest in becoming a physician’s assistant. My experiences working as a medical assistant and shadowing physician’s assistants have confirmed that a career as a PA will offer the intellectual stimulation I crave, providing a lifetime of learning as I strive to solve new problems on a daily basis.

Building relationships, working as part of a service team, and enjoying a lifetime of intellectual stimulation are three of the key aspects that fuel my desire to become a physician’s assistant. My interaction with Maria and Carlos is just one example of the numerous experiences that have prompted my desire to become a PA. “¿Hola, como está el niño hoy?” I ask as Maria arrives with Carlos a month later for a well child check. “Mucho mejor!” Maria warmly answers. She continues to tell me about Carlos’ improved health as she lifts him out of the carrier and brings him to the front desk. He rewards me with smiles and I beam back at him. Experiences like these confirm that a career as a physician’s assistant is the right choice for me.

5 comments:

  1. Great writing! Where are you applying to? My fingers are crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job: much better than my essay. Can't wait when the waiting is over...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara I loved reading your essay! I thought it was perfect! Best of luck with the rest of the process; I know you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing! I love how you documented your experiences so well. You are outstanding.

    Just don't let anyone Control + C this baby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Margaret has a good point there- you might want to think about it! :) Fabulous essay as always amiga! Good luck and let us know as soon as you hear anything!

    ReplyDelete